the airport shines with the movement of feet.
I am driven out by the cold coming,
by Virginia ’s crisp autumn toward Caribbean heat.
it’s the business of sisters that sends me
across oceans and borders. it’s the voices
of women like me, brown-skinned and setting free
their songs to spread like syrup thick and sweet.
you cannot ignore us now that we have learned harmony,
have learned to recognize injustice,
have arrived with flashing eyes and paintbrushes,
laptops and degrees, pens and mirrors that we now respect
because we have learned to handle the truth of ourselves.
That’s the beginning of a poem I wrote on the plane from DC to Miami . A few days ago I was listening to the Dave Matthews Band, and a song from one of their earlier albums filled my car. It sums up the reason I am here, the reason I have chosen to undertake this research, a career/life in medicine, health and human rights advocacy, social justice, art, scholarship, public health, global policy, and love:
how can I turn away?
brother, sister, go dancing
through my head,
human as to human.
the future is no place
to place your better days...
hands and feet are all alike
but gold between divide
hands and feet are all alike
but fear between divide us
all slip away...
I can’t say or sing it better than Dave.
Anyway, the past few weeks have been a whirlwind of visits, phone calls, emails, texts, and packing packing packing. It all felt mad epic, like I’m Aeneas in Book 1 of The Aeneid (anyone else who had to pore over that in high school Latin can relate). While graduation was somewhat of a rainy blur and felt less epic because it was immediately followed by weeks of studying and more classes, this departure has made up for graduation’s anticlimactic nature. Now I really feel as though I’m headed somewhere new, as though I’ve moved on to a different phase.
...And I am here, in
The airport guy: “Hi...how are you? You look Dominican.”
Me: “Yes, I know.”
Definitely not the first (or twentieth) time I’ve been told this and have had to explain that North America also has Creoles, people who comprise that post-colonial mezclado of African, Native American and European (in my case, mostly French and Spanish, plus Dutch and rumors of a Corsican, etc.). When I left the airport, I got a taxi and headed straight to the apartment where I’m staying (for at least the first few months) with a fellow Fulbrighter from NYC. The taxi driver and I had a nice little chat about families and Obama and public health – and it was so exciting to find out that he is from a small town near Barahona, near el Río de los Patos (literally, Duck River), because that’s exactly where we went after the SOMOS clinic in January 2007! So we both laughed and reminisced about that gorgeous land where the mountains meet the palms, which meet the beach, which meets the ocean, which meets the sky, and the lovely freshwater river that cuts through it all. It wouldn’t be the
Anyway, I am here. And thanks to some generous neighbors from
No comments:
Post a Comment